Unexpected Whole30 Update: This Might (not) Be Uncomfortable

February 2, 2013 by Darlene McC

Most of the Amazons & clients who were doing 30 days are done.  Some of us are taking the weekend off while others have opted to go on for another straight month.  All is well and good on Amazon Island and we weren’t expecting to do another W30 update for awhile…

…but wait!  There’s more!  MUCH more!

You may recall The Real Deal from some of the other W30 posts.  She’s an awesomely funky gal, willing to discuss just about anything with a smile and a laugh.  Well, this morning we got a bit TMI about the end of January’s 30 and over-shared a little about our lady bits.  That’s right, we were talking about menstruation.

Happy period?

Happy period?

Warning.  If talking about your monthly bleed makes you uncomfortable you should probably evacuate this website for good.  We’re not really the kind of gals that get uppity about that sort of thing and we’ll probably offend you again soon.

Now that we’ve cleared out the Nancies among us.

GUESS WHAT!?!  Apparently there are a lot of women who have no PMS or cramping while on Whole30!  Isn’t that WONDERFUL!?

On the scale of 1 to sucking I’ve never been all that bad in the cramps department.  I’m a 3 or 4 at worst.  But I know some gals who are definitely a 6 and practically live on their couch 2 days out of the month.  There’s a part of me that wonders why Whole9 (the creators of W30) wouldn’t put this on a billboard.  I know so very many ladies who would club a seal to never have cramps again… but they didn’t mention it in the book.  So I did some creative googling and found some blog posts where other women found relief:

I’m not sure if women aren’t writing about this more because they’re embarrassed/ashamed/socially conditioned to feel awkward about something 51% of the population experiences/don’t have blogs or because it’s not that common.  I have a  hard time believing it’s uncommon as every women whose done a Whole30 that I’ve coached has had reduced menstrual symptoms.

The Real Deal & my thoughts: it’s as if instead of kicking the door down and raiding the fridge your red visitor just crept in, noticed you were sleeping, made a little ‘sssh’ noise, and helped themselves to a glass of water in your kitchen.

For serious.  Anyone else feeling this?

My happy period dance just got a little longer methinks.

Advertisements

15 thoughts on “Unexpected Whole30 Update: This Might (not) Be Uncomfortable

1. The Real says:

remember that playtex campaign? you know the one. it included really obnoxious tampon wrapper graphics with women leaping into the air with sheer uterine joy… TV ads with a syrupy upbeat voice over telling us to “have a happy period.” i used to react to these by violently lamenting on various blogs and twitter feeds that i wanted to set their madison avenue agency’s office on fire. but now, after experiencing two whole 30 menses (i’m fast like that), not only am i no longer angry, but i’m also smirking in retrospect, armed with the knowledge and experience now, that it is in fact possible to not want to take a hostage every 27.5 days. and that, my good people, is a selling point almost as amazing as my next ‘leave a reply’ post about poop. oh you’re excited. you’re very excited.

2. Amanda says:

I used to have cramps so bad I would pass out (literally) and was very irregular. Like two weeks on, one week off, it was terrible – but since changing my diet, I have little to no cramps, and my periods are much lighter and NORMAL!

Coincidence? I think not!

3. Jen says:

LOVE when people speak the truth..and the truth is we HAVE PERIODS. Thanks for not getting all demure about it. My PMS has been mostly absent for as long as I’ve seen a naturopath, but ovulation still gets me. Feels like the Mittelschmerz Monster is having a tantrum in my pelvis for a day or so. Not on the W30! Just another perk to point.

• Darlene McC says:

Huzzah! Another like-minded sister. Welcome to the tribe 😉

So glad you appreciate your unabashed willingness to “over-share” (though for us it’s just normal share). You should hear the conversations about our digestion when we all get together in the same room!

What did your naturopath recommend for your PMS? I’m sure some of the other ladies would love to know. I also know a few women who will be interested to hear that you don’t get ovulation pain on W30 – I’ll be sure to pass it along.

• Jen says:

I dig me some digestion convo. In the naturopathic world, that’s topic one. Always fun to meet others who don’t find it odd.

ND’s treat PMS with fab focus on the individual since everyone’s hormones have their own brand of chaos….it’s best to just go see one . (It’s so nice to stop guessing or interneting which herb or cream or whatev to try & just leave it up to the pro.) Eating a Whole30 diet a WHOLE lot more of the time is key; no grains/dairy/sugar/man-made crap. From there it depends on which way your stuff sways & your ND decides in relation to whatever else you’ve got going on.

Look up seed cycling! That’s usually part it. 🙂

4. Amy says:

I’m on day 16 of my Whole30, and I am definitely having cramps. Feeling very jealous of y’all right now. Also, my cravings had generally subsided and I am really loving the food I am eating. In fact, I have been quite happy to pass up food that are usually my triggers. Until today. Today I want chocolate like I want to keep breathing. Ugh.

5. Grace says:

Just came across this post – which is old, I know. But I thought I’d weigh in (no pun intended). As a teenager I consistently had 10-14 day heavy periods. At 21, my OB/GYN suspected I have endometriosis (which was confirmed via lap at 28). In my adult life, my periods have been 5-7 days, heavy for the first half with bad cramping on day 1. This month, my period began the day after I finished my first W30. While I did have cramps on day 1, it was not heavy, and it only lasted three days. THREE. DAYS. Start to finish. And day 3 was spotting. I could not believe it. Never in my life…. It HAS to be W30 related!

6. Kelly says:

The optimism here is wonderful. I am on week three of Whole30 and the PMS food cravings are so vicious. I was unrelentingly grouchy all weekend (not normal) and I am following the high protein, high fat (good kind), high veggie meals and it’s not as awesome as you are all experiencing. Looking forward to feeling what you guys are!

7. Shelby says:

Just a note, maybe it’s because I am not very far into my 30, but I started my period on day three… and on top of feeling like I got hit by a bus already, I had the worse cramps of my life! Hopefully next time around it will be more like what you described 🙂

8. I found this post by googling Whole30 and menstruation. I have PCOS and an IUD (Mirena). For the first time in 4 years, I spontaneously started my period! I’m only on day 5 but I already feel better

9. Paige says:

My daughter has been on the Whole 30 twice in the past six months. Each time her period has been completely absent – the first time for 3 months and this time for one (so far). I do believe that the Whole 30 has everything to do with this since she was always very regular before.

• Darlene McC says:

I’m assuming she’s seen her OBGYN about this? Yes, it seems like more than a coincidence if it’s happened twice. Is she doing it for medical reasons? Or general wellness?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Instagram

Just a reminder. . . #clearmindopenheart
When the Universe gives you what you needed, say "Thank You!" . . 2018 was a really challenging year. Personally. Professionally. Spiritually. One of the most important things I learned along the way was to stop questioning when I get what I need. Instead I express gratitude! . . Time and again I'd be presented with exactly the growth opportunity or essential thing I NEEDED to survive...and I'd question it! I'd doubt if it was the right choice or if I could pull it off 🤦‍♀️ - until it became so obvious that my doubts were foolish. I was right where I needed to be. . . For #transfomationtuesday share in the comments some gratitude for times you were given exactly what you needed! 💓💓 . . #dropthedoubt #motivation #anothergrowthopportunity #growandchange #gratitude #universalguidance #modernspirituality #thankyou #saythankyou
"Age" has never been my challenge. I don't mind getting older - I don't mind getting wiser, stronger, and more resilient 💪💜 = = My challenges have been negative self talk, the aftermath of bad decisions, and the frustration of not living up to my personal best. Cultivating a growth mindset and working on my relationship with myself has shifted all that. = = We are all a work in progress, and my work is certainly not done. May the next 10 years have the vision and challenges to teach me lessons I can't even imagine right now. = = #howharddidaginghityouchallenge #growthmindset #levelup #curlyhair #selftalk #positivity #positivevibepositivemind #coaching #coachmentality
Rest in peace, teacher of us all. 🙏💗🙏 #Repost @luna_alignment_yoga ・・・ Geeta S. Iyengar passed away early this morning. 16/12/18. 🙏🏻 She was the eldest daughter of BKS Iyengar and an authority in yoga. She mastered the art of yoga at a very young age by observing her father in practice. She started teaching in 1962. 🙏🏻 Geeta is the author of the book Yoga: A Gem for Women. In which she shed a new light on yoga by adapting the yoga practice to answer the needs of women. 🙏🏻 She will remain a source of immense knowledge and everlasting inspiration. 🙏🏻
Thank you to everyone who helped make yesterday a truly magical birthday. I'm so fortunate to know I am loved, supported, and truly blessed. . . . 2018 was a huge year of challenges and growth, like nothing I've experienced before. I'm ready for you, 2019. Smarter, faster, and stronger than ever before. Let's see what we can accomplish. . . . #happybirthdaytome #ihaveamazingfriends #thankful
Growth is an essential human need. . . To progress. To change. . . Sometimes we need to look back down the path to see how far we've come. Today the past reached back (via Facebook) to show me how far I've climbed. . . Never doubt that you have the ability to grow. To change. And yes, I believe that people do change! Oftentimes it's so subtle we miss it. . . So far 2018 has held many challenges; the biggest difference from 2008 is now I can see the opportunity wrapped inside them. . . #tbt #progressnotperfection #winning #fitpro #curlyhairdontcare #growthmindset @teameqx #greenwichaveequinox #equinox #itsnotfitnessitslife #committosomething
%d bloggers like this: