We’re All Cows Now? Kate Upton Slandered on Skinny Gossip

July 11, 2012 by Darlene McC

This made me want to punch things: the “pro-skinny” website Skinny Gossip ran a story on June 10th about Kate Upton being a cow.  (I will not be linking to said story because I don’t want to be responsible for uping their hits or profile.  You can google it if you want to subject yourself to that kind of filth.)  It opened with the line

Did you know that humans are 80% genetically identical to cows? Well, allow me to prove it to you…

For those who aren’t sure, Kate Upton is an actress, model, and all around bangin’ cover girl.  She’s been in the SI swimsuit edition and does some bathing suit runway – but I appreciate her for the fact that she has curves like a real girl and has allowed herself to be photographed chomping a burger or two.

Most articles I’ve read about the Skinny Gossip post have focused on the horrible things SG said about Kate which are obviously not true: that she’s bovine-like, a “little piggy”, and having a “lazy, lardy look” (and those are the nice ones).  Anyone with a healthy body image can see that this woman is not only beautiful, but should be praised for the fact that her boobs appear to be real and she’s obviously got a great sense of humor because she’s not taking herself too damn seriously:

So it’s fairly obvious to us rational humans that a website with a “Starving Tip of the Day” may not be the best source for a healthy body image (I believe that would classify them as a “Pro-anorexia” site.  Yes, that exists and yes, it’s sad for them.)  But what concerned me more was the ultimate point that the writer was attempting (poorly) to make:

Huge thighs, NO waist, big fat floppy boobs, terrible body definition – she looks like a squishy brick. Is this what American women are “striving” for now? The lazy, lardy look? Have we really gotten so fat in this country that Kate is the best we can aim for? Sorry, but: eww!

The sudden surge in fame for Kate Upton makes me wonder how much further our plus-sized fixation is going to go. It’s not that the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue was ever high art, but thanks to Kate Upton securing this year’s cover, it’s now barely a notch above Playboy.

In response to this pic

In response to this pic

Did you catch that?  Our “plus-sized fixation”.  Kate Upton is 5’10” and has a 25″ waist.  The poor girl that wrote this is so distorted about what a human body should look like that she believes the lovely Kate (whom I’m sure didn’t ask for this attention) is a “plus-sized” model.  And, somehow, a sports magazine putting a beautiful woman in a bikini is ruining high fashion…

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Batman? (which is navel alphabet for WTF)

I find Kate to be reminiscent of the Cindy Crawford days, when you’d see a woman with a real body strutting the runway without looking emaciated.  Sure, these weren’t high fashion runways; but who in middle America is actually represented by a high fashion model anyway?   The 90s and 00s were dark days for us: everywhere you looked was a boy-body model with clothes draped on her like a hanger.  While Ms Upton may not have what I aspire to I’m glad to see someone out there at least enjoying a burger while enjoying her beauty.

Hit up the comments – I want to hear your thoughts.

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “We’re All Cows Now? Kate Upton Slandered on Skinny Gossip

1. xdhaas says:

I’ve never heard of Kate Upton so I had to google some pics. Having seen them I’m surprised a site based on being skinny is taking a swing at this girl. In my opinion she’s way too thin. Maybe they’re annoyed that you can’t see her ribs, but I didn’t see an ounce of muscle either and the amount of fat seems pretty minimal. I don’t see how a 25 inch waist, on someone as tall on her on top of it, is a “plus-sized fixation.” What fixation? Most cover-girls look like they could collapse at any second due to insufficient muscle to move their skeletons. Of course, I’ve been told I’m too picky, but being “too thin” is no different for me than being “too heavy.”

• UrbanAmazon says:

Exactly my point, XD: what fixation? Has this individual so lost sight of her own body as to encourage others to believe that Upton is “plus sized”?

While I agree with you that both are dangerous, being “too thin” and “too heavy” tax the system in different ways so from a training perspective they’re not the same; but I appreciate your thoughts either way. I’m not comfortable commenting on Upton’s lack of definition, both because that’s not what I’m about & because I’ve never assessed her. Her body comp is her own business.

• xdhaas says:

Yeah, it occurred to me afterwards that I should probably have elaborated on what I meant when I said she was “too thin.” By that I mean from my own aesthetic perspective, or perhaps my preference. Obviously there are other gauges such as health, her own opinion, etc. I just really don’t like the fixation on being stick thin that the media (and apparently the web site you found) likes to subscribe to, and it’s kind of hard to find strong, fit female role models.

• UrbanAmazon says:

Yes, thank you for clearing that up. I think there’s a big difference between “that person is too thin” and “I’m not aspiring for that body”. The former implies there’s something medically or mentally wrong with the individual.

Also, YES – it is WAY too hard to find role models that have a healthy body. And when they do the poor person is touted for being an example of a beautiful “plus sized” person when they’re often in the normal range. It’s weird. And it’s exactly what I want to try and work against.

2. rk says:

The 90s-00s were dark days indeed! I used to wear a “Feed Kate Moss” T-shirt.

By any rational definition, Kate Upton is THIN. Too thin? Well, I guess that depends on whether or not she is “healthy.” I tend to define my own too heavy/too thin based on general health and “can do.” Can I do/eat/wear the things I want?

These “Pro-Ana” sentiments hurt my heart. Body Dysmorphia Kills!

• UrbanAmazon says:

I think that’s a solid outlook on yourself RK. Thank you for sharing it. (and though I didn’t have one of those T-shirts, I think I would’ve been wearing one too if I’d known they existed)

3. lisamccolgan says:

I wrote about this on my own site as well. Horrifying. The site’s creator is fielding a lot of flak for it, as she should be. Her defense is something along the lines of “Skinny people are being persecuted and this is our way of fighting back.”

Body policing, especially among women, has to stop. If someone is striving to be thin, that’s her business. I made the decision to stop snarking about thin women needing to “eat a sandwich” because it struck me that this is just as mean-spirited and unhelpful as fat-shaming. You can promote your preferred aesthetic without eviscerating women who have learned to love themselves as-is. The whole site strikes me as an online middle school cafeteria.

4. jessie says:

Kate Upton does NOT have a 25 inch waist. She is much larger than her provided stats. I am about 1 inch shorter than her at 117 lbs. I am a long distance runner, flat chest, and have all my bones poking through my skin, ribs, chest bones, clavicle, backbone (you can see my ENTIRE spine), sharply visible hip bones. Kate has VISIBLE rolls of fat and skin and very little muscle tone. There is no way in hell Kate is the marketed 125 lbs released by her agents. Try like 150-165, which is very normal.

I am not calling her a cow, or even fat. But I am calling her NOT a girl with a 25 inch waist. She is 27 inches at the very least.