March 12, 2011 by Darlene McC
A little disappointed in myself and the speed with which I’ve gotten away from the spirit of this exercise: to do something with intention every day and then write about it. This is my catch-up post. Feel free to flog me for my indiscretion.
Something New #13 – Lent Trap
This one’s pretty simple; new thing, new word. Lent Trap:
In couples where one party is Catholic and the other is not, the unwilling subjection of the non-Catholic to the 40-day ritual of penitence known asLent.1. We were going to have dinner at this great new steak place on Friday night, but Joe’s got me stuck in a Lent Trap.
2. My wife Jane decided to give up sex for Lent. Worst. Lent Trap. Ever.– Urban Dictionary
I wasn’t raised Catholic, so my attachment to Lent is weaker than some; however, I have had the experience of “so-and-so gave up ____ and now I don’t get to have it either”. Simple enough. To make this one count I used it in casual conversation and shared it in my (very cool & unoffended) office.
SN #14 – Bubble Tea
Yes, it’s true ~ before this week I never had a bubble tea. Weird, right? Well, I tried it ~ here ya go:
Please excuse the head-tilt… my boss wasn’t sure how to shoot with my phone.
SN #15 – Moulin Rouge Drinking Game
It also may surprise you to know that I’ve never played a drinking game to a movie before. That surly changed Tuesday night when I played the Moulin Rouge Drinking Game with a bottle of saki. We modified the “standard online rules” because, frankly, some of them seemed stupid. Our rules were as follows:
- A girl lifts her skirt (gee thats gonna be tough to find)
- Satine makes that awful noise. (what .. is she trying to be seductive with that? who knows…)
- Christian says “all you need is love”
- Satine refuses to love Christian
- Toulouse uses “W” instead of “L” or “R”
- Zidler uses a nickname for Satine (ie “gosling”, “strawberry”, etc)
- The Argentinean becomes unconcious
- Satine sings “Diamonds are a girls best friend”
- The Duke twitches his mustashe
- Nini is a …”witch”
- “The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is ust to love and be loved in return” is spoken/sung
SN #16 – Garrulous
Another new word! Garrulous is an obnoxious, pretentious way to mean “talkative”. Now you know.
SN # 17 – Sliders
Or, technically, just tiny cheeseburgers because I wasn’t at a White Castle. But I’d just never had little burgers before. I’ve mean to; just didn’t order them. Well… now I have:
They were tasty as all hell. I’d honestly expected that they would be over-cooked and a bit tough (which is why I’d never gotten them), but they were perfectly done and I’ve been craving them a little bit ever since.
SN #18 – Killian’s Irish Red
It’s hard to believe that I’ve never had such a standard beer before, but it’s true. Thought it was tasty and hoppy and had a very rich flavor.
Phew! That’s a lot of new.
For your enjoyment, a video from the origami turtle experiment: